Frequently asked questions

What are the Government requirements to enter our aged care accommodation?

To enter Harbison as a resident (as with other aged care organisations), residents will need to be assessed by the Government as requiring aged care. This assessment lets us know what type of care they may require, allowing us to claim government funding to reduce the fees.

Aged care assessments are conducted by a local Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). A GP can assist with arranging an assessment or the regional ACAT team can be contacted directly via

It is in residents’ best interests to complete this assessment as soon as they- or their families- start considering Aged Care as it will help determine the fees that residential aged care facilities are required to charge.

What will it cost to enter your aged care facility?

One of the most commonly asked questions we receive at Harbison when someone is making initial enquiries for accommodation is, “How much does it cost?” Unfortunately, there is no simple answer as the cost of aged care accommodation very much depends on applicants’ income and assets. The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services in Australia and expects residents to contribute to the cost of care if they can afford to do so.

How do we determine your income and assets?

When applying to Harbison, we will ask you to complete a simple financial assessment that gives us a picture of your income and assets. This helps us provide you with a quote.

The amount we charge you is determined by the Australian Government from information provided by you in the Resident’s Combined Assets and Income Assessment.

It is in your best interest to complete this assessment as soon as you are considering aged care as it will help you determine the fees that Aged Care Facilities are required to charge.

We do also recommend getting professional financial advice when considering moving into aged care accommodation.

For guidance on accessing an aged care home please download the Steps to enter an aged care home