Specialised Dementia Care
About Harbison Dementia Living
Harbison Dementia Living is based on person-centred care which provides a home-like experience to support the independence and comfort of people living with dementia.
The home is designed to support the therapeutic benefits of involving residents as much as possible in normal daily activities, to provide a sense of purpose and independence in a safe and familiar setting. Care is provided in a way that encourages a normal living experience, to the fullest extent possible.
“As we become more emotional and less cognitive, it’s the way you talk to us, not what you say, that we will remember. We know the feelings, but don’t know the plot. Your smile, your laugh and your touch are what we connect with. Empathy heals. Just love us as we are. We’re still here in emotion and spirit, if only you could find us.”
Christine Bryden — Dementia Advocate and Survivor
Harbison Dementia Living Features:
- Small-scale living with maximum 15 residents per household
- A range of room choices available
- Premium king single garden or courtyard bedrooms with private bathrooms
- Premium suites with a sitting room, private bathrooms, double beds, smart TV, private verandas
- Every bedroom door is unique to assist way-finding and create a sense of arrival
- Imported ergonomic anti-microbial age and dementia-friendly bathroom fittings
- Pergolas, raised vegetable gardens, country- style sensory gardens, outdoor seating areas,
hills hoists, men’s shed, pathways, to encourage sunshine and fresh air
- Central communal kitchen with Miele appliances designed to involve residents in the meal experience and provide cooking as an activity
- Communal dining room designed to encourage socialisation
- Dementia-friendly laundry designed to allow residents to participate in this comforting day-to-day activity
- Central lounge activities space with special tactile dementia-friendly furniture
- Sitting room
- Dementia-friendly fireplaces
- Unobtrusive state-of-the-art safety systems
- 24/7 specialist dementia care
- 24/7 on site registered nurse
- Clinical Psychologist on staff to support mental health and well-being, and management of responsive behaviours
- Permanent or respite care available
Our approach to people living with dementia
Harbison and Meaningful Care Matters have worked together to transform the way we deliver care for older Australians living with dementia. We adopted this model in early 2018 which focuses on the emotional aspects of people living with dementia.
This approach seeks to create improvements including:
- Improved understanding and recognition.
- Decreasing pain levels.
- Decreasing use of neuroleptic, sedative and psychotropic medication.
- Emotional reactions and distress responses.
- Meaningful engagement and activity.
- Longer life expectancy.
- Fewer falls through greater independence.
- Increased wellbeing.